What is a BDC huddle and why is it important to Southside?
Thanks to all the many people who worked at our Garage Sale on 11 September. Whilst numbers were slightly down on previous years, overall it was a great event.
We raised $7014, 50% of which will be given to Annerley Baptist Church to support their Community Connection and Belonging Project.
The narrative lectionary lets us see the God's big story as revealed in the bible.
Helping people take significant steps to come closer to Jesus.
What does a person who is living and loving like Jesus look like?
David shares some of the many ways that we can get to know people from our other communities.
Across all our services on Sunday 22 August, we are joining with churches across Australia to pray for our local, national and global communities experiencing great need and distress caused by COVID-19.
For those wanting to go deeper and commit additional time or individual participation:
• Nightly prayer calls from 16 to 21 August will take place with input from a different church leader each night.
• Daily devotions will be sent out to those who register.
• All day online prayer service on Sunday 22 August 2021.
To register for all or any of these, please use the link on the left hand side of this page.
Southside is excited to be part of the Qld Community Alliance submission for the Qld Government Inquiry into Social Isolation.
We will be joining the voices of other organisations and support groups, offering support to socially isolated people across the South East – including Anglicare, BlueCare Qld, Islamic Council of Qld, Logan East Community Centre Inc., Mt Gravatt Community Centre Inc., UnitingCare & the Uniting Church Qld Synod. These submissions will demonstrate to the Qld Government that this is an issue of concern for Queenslanders living in the South East, and that a state-wide inquiry will yield information on how the Government can better allocate funds and infrastructure to stem this growing concern. You can also add your own personal submission covering the questions below:
- What has been your experience of being socially isolated or lonely? What were the circumstances around becoming socially isolated or lonely?
- What sort of support do you think would be helpful to you when you are experiencing loneliness and isolation? Has anything you tried worked to reduce feelings of isolation? This can be any kind of support eg Family, Friends, Community, Government support, guidance, advice etc?
- Do you feel there are barriers to overcoming feelings of social isolation and loneliness? If so, can you explain what they are for you? Please write as many as you like and it can be any kind of barrier you feel such as personal, social, technology, cost, access.
- Did the COVID-19 pandemic affect you and your situation with social isolation and loneliness? Can you explain how it affected you?
Click [here](www.qldcommunityalliance.org/inquiry_into_social_isolation_and_loneliness_in_queensland)for more comprehensive submission guidelines (including templates).
And if you would like to know more about Qld Parliament Inquiry and what has been the run up to making this happen please go to their [website](www.parliament.qld.gov.au/work-of-committees/committees/CSSC/inquiries/current-inquiries/socialisolation).
Alternatively, you may like to join our Southside Uniting Church submission; if so, I would be more than happy to connect with you and record your experience. Please email [Esteban Lievano](Esteban.Lievano@ssuc.org.au) on phone him on 040 773 1950.
The closing date for individual submissions is 5.00 pm, Wednesday 18 August and should be addressed to the Committee Secretary – Community Support and Services Committee. Submissions can be emailed to CSSC@parliament.qld.gov.au, and cc email@example.com – or they can be mailed to Parliament House, George Street, Brisbane Qld 4000.